Friday 10 April 2015

University

Uni has kept me busy and I know it's been a long time since I updated.

The Renfrewshire Witch Hunt fell through. I did go in to chase them up about volunteering but they just said they would be getting back to me within the week but I never heard from them despite going to see them a few times.

I am loving living at Queen Margaret University. I am less than 10 mins from Edinburgh by trains and less than half an hour by bus. My flatmates have all turned out to be really nice. I have 5 flatmates all girls...which is disappointing for all of us. We all wanted to be sharing with at least one guy. We have a mix of different people from different areas and subject areas.

The course is fantastic. I am learning so much about costume and get to work on shows for the uni as part of the course twice a year. We started with unfitted garments then I worked on Gamestastic show for the National Museum of Scotland. At the same time we got to learn about other aspects of the theatre like lighting, which I have fallen in love with, and sound. In addition to this we had a drawing module where we had to draw lots of characters in costume.  I have just complete the second show called Harlequinade, which we were making costumes for acrobats and clowns. Both of them were really stressful but totally worth it. Currently I am working on Fitted Garments and a straw bonnet which will, in addition to another drawing project, finish off my coursework for the year.

Unfortunately in October I was hospitalised for an abscess in the base of my spine which had to be lanced and drained thankfully while I was put under general anaesthetic. I then had to go back to the nurse everyday for a month to get the wound packed. Turns out paracetamol works wonders if you take it half an hour before getting your wound packed!

I joined a few societies. I joined the Drama Society and Cobweb Theatre Company Society and through them I got to work onstage as well as in the tech box which was really cool. I really love working with the lighting. I worked on the lighting for Cobweb's showcase Wonders of the Web. After Christmas I didnt go back to the Drama Society as it was getting too much as I was working on the Gamestastic show as well as both societies. Cobweb introduced me to working with Ridotto which was a night held by our uni in the Caves in Edinburgh. Unfortunately this year was the last year it was going to run but I thoroughly enjoying working the lighting for it. I got to work in the Edinburgh Student Arts Festival dressing people for their catwalk. I got to do a monologue from Taming of the Shrew for Cobweb's Nacho Ordinary Cobweb Show which was really fun. Cobweb has got several upcoming events which I get to tech including Fear and Misery in the Third Reich, with sound this time, which I am also organising the costumes for and Caught in the Web which is only for new writing which I will tech. Hopefully lighting but I'm fine with either.

I got to work backstage at the Kings theatre in the costume department of Oliver! with a lady named Kate for one night only. She seemed really nice and told me about opportunities for the future which is always nice to hear about. When I came home I was buzzing from experience. I loved it.

Now my First Year is coming to an end and while the year has just flown by so fast I am looking forward to second year.

No comments:

Post a Comment